- 1 can or 1 1/2 c cooked cannellini beans (drained)
- 1/2 head of cabbage, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 c mushrooms, sliced (I used cremini, but you could use any)
- 1 c vegetable broth
- 8 oz dried pasta (I used rotini, but almost any shape would work)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 c shredded parmesan (I like buying the block and shredding it directly into the dish using a microplane)
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
Heat a large pot of water for pasta. In a large skillet, heat vegetable broth, cabbage, thyme, bay leaves and 1 tsp salt for 3-4 minutes. Drop pasta and cook until about 2 minutes less than instructions call for. While pasta is boiling, add onions, mushrooms, remaining salt and pepper to your skillet. I put a lid on here to allow the mushrooms and cabbage to sweat a little more. When pasta is ready, use a slotted spoon to remove it from water and add it to the skillet along with your beans. Stir everything to combine and then remove from heat. Add shredded Parmesan and stir to combine. Top with some chopped chives for color.
*This could easily be made vegan by either skipping the Parmesan or using vegan Parmesan.