- 1 small red onion, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup sliced sweet peppers (red, yellow and/or orange)
- 1 1/2 c cooked Basmati rice, cold
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 tbsp sesame oil, divided
- 1/2 c frozen carrots and peas, thawed
- 1 can sliced water chestnuts
- 1 can bean sprouts
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 c chopped scallions (just the green parts)
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp sesame oil and heat until just starting to smoke. Add eggs. After about 10 seconds, swirl eggs to fill pan. Let cook until set but not starting to brown. Flip, let cook 1 minute and then remove from pan and set aside.
You should still have oil in the pan. Add the onions and peppers and let them cook until they begin to soften. Then add remaining oil. Add cold rice and spread around pan so it can crisp. Don’t stir it for 3-4 minutes. Then flip rice and add peas & carrots, water chestnuts, bean sprouts, and 1 tsp salt. After 3-4 minutes, stir and then press rice down into pan all the way around. Let cook another 3-5 minutes to crisp up the rice on the bottom. Sprinkle chopped chives on top and serve with soy sauce.